Back to list All Articles Archives Search RSS Terug naar lijst Alle artikelen Archieven Zoek RSS

Over 300 reports of quake damage, minister to cut gas production

THE NETHERLANDS. Over 300 official reports of damage have been made following Monday’s earthquake in Groningen province, which centred on the village of Zeerijp, website Nu.nl reported.
 

The quake measured 3.4 on the Richter scale and was the biggest in the region since 2012, the KNMI said. The quakes are caused by ground settling following the extraction of natural gas from under the province. More reports are expected in the next few days. All will be assessed by the safe housing centre CVW, which was set up to deal with earthquake damage.

Economic affairs minister Erik Wiebes said that his department was now looking into ways to further reduce gas extraction. ‘What we have to do in any case is have a plan ready to reduce gas extraction further,’ he said.

Last year the government reduced the volume of gas from 27 billion cubic metres to almost 22 cubic metres but locals say much more still needs to be done. They were also quick to describe the latest quake as a wake-up call to national government which had for years ignored the problem. Wiebes is due to visit the province on Wednesday.

This article appeared first on dutchnews.nl

About DutchNews.nl

DutchNews.nl is a proThe Netherlands and Belgium will today sign a formal treaty swapping pieces of land along their border at the Maas river.vider of quality Dutch news and current affairs in English for an international audience. Some 25,000 people read DutchNews.nl every day, either online, through our daily digital newsletter or via our social media channels.

Categories:Categorieën:
Tags:

CommentsReacties

There are currently no comments.Er zijn geen reacties.

Post a Comment

Laat een reactie achter

Name (required)

Email (required)

CAPTCHA image
Enter the code shown above: