Back to list All Articles Archives Search RSS Terug naar lijst Alle artikelen Archieven Zoek RSS

UM satisfied with the number of master’s students

MAASTRICHT. The open day for master’s programmes, last Saturday, attracted more visitors this year than last year. Then 1389 potential students came to take a look, this year that number was approximately 1500 (the definite figure will be announced at the end of this week). Competition among universities has become more intense over the past few years. More and more students change from one university to another to do their master’s; 13 per cent in 2014 compared to 3.8 per cent in 2013. Maastricht University is not worried: in 2014 the number of master’s students who came to Maastricht was larger than the number of those who left.

This academic year, 2,739 students started a master’s study at Maastricht University. Of that number, 1,409 had studied in Maastricht before. The other 1,330 master’s students came from other universities. A total of 52 per cent of the students who completed their bachelor’s in 2013 at the UM, continued on to do a UM master’s. Where the other 48 per cent went, is unknown; the university does not carry out so-called ‘exit surveys’, in which alumni are asked what they did after completing their study programme. More students came to Maastricht in 2014 for a master’s (1,330), than left (1,168).

Two-thirds of the students who come to Maastricht are from abroad, mainly from the European Union. Of the students who remain here, the majority is Dutch (2/3). The rest is from the EU (1/3); only 1 per cent is from a non-EU country. Whether students remain in Maastricht, partly depends on the programme. At the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, the percentage is 70, because students of Medicine usually do their internships at the same university, whereas at the internationally orientated School of Business and Economics, the percentage is 40.

The UM is satisfied with the number of students who come to Maastricht for a master’s programme, says public relations official Dunja Bajic. The objective in the strategic programme to get between 2,500 and 3,500 master’s enrolments each year, has been achieved. “We are also satisfied if the share of UM students who stay on to do one of our UM master’s after their bachelor’s, is more than 50 per cent (52 per cent in 2014). After all, as a highly internationally orientated university we stimulate our students to broaden their horizons and above all, to gain international experience.”

Prospective students may register for most of the master’s programmes until 1 June. Next week, on 25 March, the Keuzegids Masters 2015 will be published, contain a ranking for all master’s programmes in the Netherlands.

Categories:Categorieën:

CommentsReacties

There are currently no comments.Er zijn geen reacties.

Post a Comment

Laat een reactie achter

Door een reactie te plaatsen gaat u akkoord met de verwerking van de ingevulde gegevens door Observant.
Voor meer informatie: Privacyverklaring
By responding, you agree to send the entered data to Observant.
For more info: Privacy statement

Name (required)

Email (required)